Monday, May 2, 2011

Samwise

Ok, I admit it, I used to play WoW. After searching for a while on the main site I found all the concept artists personal site. Each artist has their own page showing their personal, Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo work. My personal favourite of the eight artists is Samwise.

Mountain Giant Concept Art
He is my favourite of the artists because he has a
variety of work for each game and even his "sketches" are top notch. He is Blizzard main concept artist for World of Warcraft though. He designed all the races and factions emblems. Some of his art is very beautiful and some of it is very gory. I like his art because it is very detailed and almost all of his pieces have that epic feeling.

Mountain Giant from World of Warcraft
The picture to the left is a Mountain Giant for the Warcraft universe. This giant was used in Warcraft III and WoW. I love how he made the giant look likes a little island habitat for birds and how the blue background looks almost like the water and sky. I also like how the rocks that form its body are all chipped and make the giant look like it just stepped out from being part of a mountain.

I find it very cool the translation between concept art to game because many things are almost seamless. I am amazed how someone could turn a 2d drawing into a 3d animated image. I think it would be very cool to have a group of people trying to make your art into a monster, NPC, or even a playable character in the most popular MMORPG game ever.

I hope one day I can work for a gaming corporation like Blizzard and work on something I enjoy. Be it as a concept artist animator or designer.

No comments: