Sunday, February 28, 2010

Typography

For our next tech assignment we have to create a kinetic typography video. The content of the majority of these videos are famous speeches or quotes from movies or T.V shows. While I was researching for what the content of my project I was stuck between two speeches. One was Soylent Green and the other was William Wallace's speech (0:46-1:31). In the end i decided to do William Wallace's speech first of all because it is inspiring but to also represent my heritage.

Now that I had my content I needed some inspiration so I watched many kinetic typography videos on youtube. Some were good, some weren't. My two favourite were Size Matters Not and The Breakfast Club Moving Type. I liked these two because unlike most of the other ones you could almost always see all the words of a sentence instead of constantly overlapping the other words. My favourite part of Size Matters Not was at 0:31 when it zooms out and the type looks like the handle of a lightsaber. My favourite part of The Breakfast Club Moving Type was from 0:42-0:46 because the artist makes a entire sentence and turns it into a square using different font sizes. I also need to pick a background and I have yet to decide this. I was thinking of something along the lines of old parchment paper. Storyboarding this is hard because pencil and paper are static while the final product will be moving.

I will be sure to post the final video once I finish.

No comments: